Thursday, March 1, 2012

We’ve reached our destination…. Week 5


Hello Everyone! Hope you’ve all had a great week and I’m sure you’re all pretty stoked about spring break. This is week 5 of our blog and it’s going to be our last entry. We all wanted to say it was awesome meeting you all and hearing about you and what you all hope to aspire to in the near future. :)


We all know that being an interdisciplinary student has its challenges and obstacles to overcome, however how has this blog helped you in any way? We’ve discussed different goals you all hope to achieve, ways to improve your resumes as well as how to see your focuses and majors in different lights. Now we want to hear a little bit from you about what you learned.


Has this blog in anyway enlightened you and your way of seeing this degree? Think about what you hope to be and how these focuses and majors will help get you there. Do you believe that having classes in these different areas will help you in landing your dream job? How has being an interdisciplinary student helped you thus far in your classes this semester? Hopefully these questions will come easy to you. I know it starts to get rough trying to see how all aspects of this degree will help you, however once you discover the beauty of it’s diverseness is when you start to realize how beneficial it really is to be an Interdisciplinary student.


I’ve been fortunate enough to land an amazing job and I haven’t even graduated, I have 2 months left! However my employer found it very beneficial to him and his company when I told him about my degree. I made sure to know exactly what focuses pertained to him and the company and I sold my best attributes to him. I embraced my wide range of knowledge and made him understand why we wanted me on his team. I wouldn’t have been able to do any of this if it wasn’t for the fact that I knew how to explain what my degree was. The more you discuss it the more comfortable you are with it and trust me, confidence shows. We wish you all nothing but luck in your future classes here at UCF! Enjoy it, make an effort to get involved and GO KNIGHTS!!!

Questions:

Has this blog in anyway enlightened you and your way of seeing this degree? In what ways?

Do you believe that having classes In these different areas will help you in landing your dream job? Why or why not?

How has being an interdisciplinary student helped you thus far in your classes this semester?

9 comments:

  1. This blog has enlightened me to other peoples' views on what it means to be an interdisciplinary student. I know more of what it means to be one from seeing the perspective of others. As to whether or not having classes in multiple areas would help me to get my dream job, I think without a doubt this will be a more diverse and beneficial way to get a better understanding of whatever it is I wish to get into. I think more than anything, being an interdisciplinary student has helped me in my classes this semester by allowing me to better integrate all of them together. I can cross-reference information learned from one course to the other and connect the dots that students with only one major would have trouble with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this blog has definately enlightened me about my degree. It has helped me better explain my degree to people by seeing how others do it. I think i understand the major better as well. I believe that having a major that is tailored to my interests will help me land my dream job. while others are focusing on one area of a job, i have a customized education that is perfect for the job that i want. i think that being a interdisciplinary student has helped me in my classes because i am taking classes that interest me. It has helped me use other areas to help me with my studies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Taylor
      The way you described what interdisciplinary studies is exactly how I do when people ask me what it is. I always tell them it's a valid degree that I have tailored to what I need and I take courses customized to help me land a specific job.

      Delete
  3. Has this blog in anyway enlightened you and your way of seeing this degree? In what ways?

    This blog has helped me in a way by simply just having me write or put things into words the goals that I have aspired for and acheived in many ways. It has now helped me to think about other peoples goals and aspirations and seeing how I can incorporate them within my own.

    Do you believe that having classes In these different areas will help you in landing your dream job? Why or why not?

    YES!! simply because these classes help you to be well rounded. Not just one-sided.

    How has being an interdisciplinary student helped you thus far in your classes this semester?

    Well, this is the only class I have this semester so yes it has helped me to open my view of an interdisciplinary lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog has absolutely enlightened me in the way I see my degree. This blog has helped me to better describe my degree to others. Now I know exactly what to say when someone asks me what my degree is in. I also know how to better market myself. I do believe that having classes in different areas will also help me in getting by dream job because instead of having just one main focus in my degree interdisciplinary studies has allowed me to be more diverse. Being an interdisciplinary has helped me in my classes because I know how to succeed in my classes by looking at them though an interdisciplinary point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blog has given me the perspective of my fellow students and given me some reference to my degree and my future. By seeing the advancement of the seniors through this blog I've been able to track the advancement of my degree. In regards to the variety of classes I would have to say that I genuinely hope so or otherwise this degree is worthless! The fact that I have a multi-faceted background from this coursework should enable me to get my dream job of teaching in a professor setting. Although to be honest I feel like taking a smorgasbord of classes does have its disadvantage of stretching yourself too thin. Being an Interdisciplinary student had honestly not helped me very much in my other classes except in the blending of political science and history which has been minor at best. On another note on the blog I wish we could have done it in person because I feel like it would have been a better use of mentor-ship, but that again is just personal opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Dexter
      I have to say that I agree with you on that having a mixed mode course definitely takes away from the personal and honestly more meaningful impact of a college-level course that you would otherwise get from a class that is face to face. I think people's attitudes would be different if interacting physically rather than over the internet.

      Delete
  6. This blog has truly enlightended and has broadened my knowledg towards my degree and my future. Also the insight and comments of my fellow bloggers has also helped me in many ways personal and academically. I think that having different classes that incorporate towards my choses career, has and will help me have a better understanding on what I know and what I still need to learn.Being an interdisciplinary student has helped me expand and have more understanding on what I want to do for my dream job. Im able to take classes of art and communications which help prepare me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As has already been said, the enlightenment I’ve gained has come from everyone’s responses to the blog. It’s interesting to see different takes on our shared degree. It’s been refreshing having a variety of classes to shape the degree. The extensive class choices help to increase our knowledge base as well as to keep our interests. The options and opportunities provided by being an interdisciplinary major has made it possible to be successful thus far in my scholastic career.

    ReplyDelete